Chevrolet won today in Macau the Manufacturers’ WTCC title, while Yvan Muller was officially declared Drivers’ WTCC Champion. This double success, the first of Chevrolet and GM in a FIA-sanctioned world championship, seals a perfect finale to the outstanding campaign of the Cruze throughout the season.
The championships were conquered with bravura, as Rob Huff and Yvan Muller took a double win in Race 1, after a faultless flag-to-flag performance. In Race 2, the Chevrolet duo had to fight hard to pass Farfus, finishing 3rd and 4th, which means that Chevrolet has been on the podium in 21 of the 22 races this year. Unfortunately, this was not enough for Huff to take the runner-up position in the championship, as he finished tied in points with Tarquini, declared vice-champion only on number of wins. Alain Menu had a more difficult week-end but showed again his tremendous team spirit and personal bravery, having to cope with the sad news of his dad’s death. The Swiss finished Race 1 in 7th position, after a contact with the wall in lap 1, but could not take advantage from the first row position in Race 2, as a mechanical problem got him stuck on the grid.
As “We are the Champions!” was being sung in the Chevrolet garage after the race, amid accolades, toasts and some tears, the RML team was preparing for a long night of well-deserved celebrations. Once back in Europe, work will resume, with a new challenge in sight: getting the new Cruze 1.6 turbo as competitive as the current race car in 2011.
MACAU RACE 1 RESULTS
1. R Huff Chevrolet Cruze 11 laps in 35m34s840
2. Y Muller Chevrolet Cruze + 0s366
3. T Monteiro SEAT León TDI + 0s631
4. G Tarquini SEAT León TDI + 0s909
5. N Michelisz SEAT León TDI + 1s306
8. A Menu Chevrolet Cruze + 2s564
MACAU RACE 2 RESULTS
1. N Michelisz SEAT León TDI 10 laps in 54m37s415
2. G Tarquini SEAT León TDI + 1s193
3. R Huff Chevrolet Cruze + 1s543
4. A Menu Chevrolet Cruze + 10s886
5. A Farfus BMW 320si + 14s675
DNF A Menu Chevrolet Cruze 2 laps (mechanical)
DRIVERS POINTS STANDINGS AFTER RACE 22 OF 22
1. Y Muller (Chevrolet), 331 points; 2. G Tarquini (SEAT), 276; 3. R Huff (Chevrolet), 276 ; 4. A Priaulx (BMW), 246 ; 5. T Monteiro (SEAT), 177; 6. A Menu (Chevrolet), 173; … 21. L Pernía (Chevrolet), 1.
MANUFACTURERS POINTS STANDINGS AFTER RACE 22 OF 22
1. Chevrolet, 715 points; 2. SEAT, 641; 3. BMW, 580.