BBR is proud to announce a new range of performance conversions for the mighty 300 bhp Ford Focus RS MK2. BBR’s upgrades reflect its 20 years experience with Ford tuning and are available in four very distinct power levels, with an accompanying suspension upgrade package to optimise the car’s dynamic abilities.
After 18 months of meticulous testing and development, BBR is confident no other Ford tuning company worldwide has a more complete track, road and dyno tested range of conversions for the Focus RS MK2.
Phase One: BBR StarChip software upgrade
The entry level upgrade transforms the performance and driveability of the Focus RS via an ECU remap. Use of BBR’s StarChip software affords an extremely linear throttle pedal / turbo boost map, resulting in a considerably smoother driving experience than offered by the factory ECU settings. With a huge improvement in throttle response, the mid range torque and peak horsepower are substantially enhanced, with no visibly obvious mechanical changes.
Phase One Conversion includes:
- Custom Mapped BBR Star Chip – With careful calibration of the standard Focus RS MK2 ECU, fuel, ignition, torque, airflow and boost requirements are carefully re-mapped for all conditions, making this conversion a worthy level one addition to our range. BBR is confident that this ECU remap represents the finest blend of drivable performance for track and road.
- Silicone induction hose – During testing under full load BBR has found the original air intake hose distorting, causing an airflow restriction. Replacement of this hose is essential to release the full performance of the Phase One conversion.
BBR Focus RS Phase One Power 342 HP @ 6150RPM
BBR Focus RS Phase One Torque 369 ft/lbs @ 3350RPM
Priced at £595.00, customers should allow 2 hours for installation. A DIY kit is also available.
Phase Two: BBR RS355
BBR’s Phase Two upgrade replaces the RS MK2’s standard inefficient intercooler with BBR’s own high flow unit. All inlet air box hoses to and from the air-box and to the RS’s turbocharger unit are replaced with high flow, silicon versions, removing inlet air flow restrictions in the process.
In conjunction with the replacement inlet hose kit, BBR installs a custom mapped BBR Star Chip to extract the maximum safe power from the original RS MK2’s fuel system, without any gains in inlet temperature, or the very important ‘air fuel ratio’ going weak. The stock paper element air filter is also replaced with a high flow performance unit.
In addition to the Phase One upgrade, the Phase Two Conversion includes:
- BBR spec High flow intercooler – Finished in gloss black, the BBR intercooler sits discretely behind the Focus RS MK2’s aggressive front grill, utilizing the full width of the aperture. This highly efficient inlet core allows BBR to manage inlet air temperatures easily, helping to optimise performance at higher boost levels.
- High Flow inlet hose set – A complete set of high flow replacement hoses are included, removing manufacturer’s inherent flow restrictions and allowing greater flow from the turbocharger.
- High flow filter – BBR specifies a drop in performance air filter which improves throttle response and comes with a million mile warranty.
BBR Focus RS Phase Two Power 355 HP @ 6580RPM
BBR Focus RS Phase Two Torque 378 ft/lbs @ 3000-4600RPM
Priced at £1245.00, with a fitting charge of £195.00, customers should allow four to five hours for installation. A DIY kit is also available.
Phase Three: BBR RS380
The BBR Phase Three conversion extracts the maximum safe power from the original Focus RS MK2’s turbo unit. In addition to components used in the BBR phase two upgrade, the complete exhaust system is replaced with a BBR 3″ stainless steel exhaust that includes a sports catalyst (retaining emissions legality.)
As part of the Phase Three conversion BBR also modifies the Focus RS MK2’s fuel system to cope with the higher demands required at this boost/power level, using larger fuel injectors. BBR’s Star Chip ECU software is then carefully calibrated in parallel with the larger fuel injectors to ensure no loss in drivability or fuel consumption penalty.
In addition to the Phase Two upgrade, the Phase Three Conversion includes:
- A BBR spec Turbo back high flow exhaust with sports cat – a complete system including sports catalyst, highest quality aircraft grade stainless steel finished with Twin 4″ tail pipes that sit perfectly within the Focus RS MK2’s original bumper aperture.
- BBR spec high flow fuel injectors – Drop in replacement fuel injectors, with careful BBR Star Chip software calibration, BBR injectors are optimised for this power level.
BBR Focus RS Phase Three Power 382 HP @ 6080RPM
BBR Focus RS Phase Three Torque 388 ft/lbs @ 3000-4650RPM
Priced at £2495.00, with a fitting charge £345.00, customers should allow six to eight hours for installation. A DIY kit is also available.
Phase Four: BBR RS400
The highest level of BBR Focus RS Mk2 conversion is for those customers looking for a genuine 400bhp upgrade. As part of the BBR Phase Four upgrade, the RS original turbocharger is replaced with our higher flow motorsport spec item and further modifications are made to the fuel system. This conversion delivers true supercar performance from the Ford Focus RS Mk2.
In addition to Phase Three upgrade, the Phase Four Conversion includes:
- BBR specification high flow fuel pump – The BBR high flow fuel pump directly replaces the stock item, as the fuel flow required at this level surpasses that available from the OEM Ford unit.
- BBR Hybrid turbo charger – This is a fully overhauled unit, with extensive modifications including; All bearings and seals replaced, a CNC re-profiled compressor cover, a billet motorsport 360° thrust bearing and thrust washers, a billet larger diameter inlet compressor wheel,cutback turbine wheel, central core rotational housing balanced to motorsport spec, ported and flowed compressor cover, turbine housing and wastegate valve.
BBR Focus RS Phase Four Power 404 HP @ 6220RPM
BBR Focus RS Phase Four Torque 408 ft/lbs @ 3380RPM
Priced at £3895.00, with a fitting charge of £595.00, customers should allow a full day for installation. A DIY kit is also available.
BBR Focus RS suspension upgrades
BBR has been busy developing its own high performance springs, and along with well known suspension specialists Koni, its own BBR/Koni adjustable dampers. BBR has discovered that the standard Focus RS suspension is extremely harsh and uncomfortable for every day. Fed up with RS hash ride of the original set up, BBR has produced a highly effective suspension solution.
BBR Focus RS Performance Spring set
BBR’s very own track and road developed performance springs are designed to work with the car’s existing standard dampers, or BBR’s adjustable dampers for a more comfortable ride, whilst gently lowering the Focus RS’s ride height.
BBR Spec Focus RS Koni adjustable dampers
BBR has found that many of its Focus ST clients have reported the rough and bumpy ride on the STD RS is far from enjoyable on longer journeys. BBR’s solution is a set of adjustable BBR spec Koni dampers which are compatible with either the standard Ford springs or BBR’s own performance spring set.